Q: “Hi there, I have been experiencing voices, footsteps, and cold spots in my house. And I feel as though I’m constantly being watched. I want to know who is in my house. Any idea how I can contact them and find out?” — Victoria
A: Hi Victoria,
There are many ways to make contact with a spirit, especially one that is active and attempting to get your attention. The question is, do you really want to make contact? My general rule of thumb is: if they are not overly bothering you, do not overly bother with them. Spirits are everywhere, in each place and around absolutely everybody. Seeing them, or indications of them, is incredibly common.
If this is happening more so than usual, it may simply mean that your psychic senses are opening or developing. This is a good thing. The more psychically open you are, the more you will be aware of many things in the celestial, including the spiritual activity around you or in your home. So ask yourself, have you been working to develop your abilities? Have you been involved in more spiritual pursuits than normal? Has your interest in the world of Spirit piqued of late? Have you been reading books, joining groups, talking to people about the paranormal? If you answered yes to any of those questions, it is likely you are experiencing this phenomena because you yourself are opening and changing, and not because circumstances in your home are.
However, if it’s not due to your spiritual development, but rather an actual spirit in your home trying to get your attention, and if you’re sure you want to respond — what do you do?
First, before you even start, ridding yourself of all fear is absolutely essential. Never ever do any spiritual work if you are afraid or anxious. These are negative energies and the more you emit them into a space or situation, the more you build the negative energy around you. If the spirit itself is negative, your fear will strengthen and embolden him. Therefore release all fear. Remember, no weapons formed against you shall prosper. Believe it!
Besides ridding yourself of fear, you need to make sure your environment — particularly the area in which you do your spiritual work — is set up sufficiently to hold a higher vibration. This involves making sure the space is clean, fresh, quiet, uncluttered, and organized, and that there are high vibration elements all around, such as artwork, gemstones, candles, spiritually significant items or artifacts, and also spiritually uplifting music.
Remember, light always scatters darkness, and this is because the vibration of light is higher and stronger than that of the dark. Darkness of all types, to include negative energy, entities, residual energies and the like, absolutely cannot stand being in the presence of the stronger, purer vibration of light. If this spirit in your home is negative or bothersome in any way, you do not want to interact with him. If you and your space are sufficiently high vibration, you will not have to worry about it. He’ll go and these phenomena will stop. This is what you want.
Once you have done these things, and you still want to work with the spirit, there are a few things you can do.
First, I’ll tell you what I do when a spirit comes into my house — and believe me, it happens a lot (both to me and my child). If a spirit is attempting to get my attention, and after making sure I am free of fear and in a high vibration environment, I give that spirit a window of time. I state that window out loud. I tell them they have approximately one hour (or whatever amount of time I’m willing to give them) to get their information to me. I tell them that once that time has passed, I will energetically clear my home. Which means they will have to leave, period.
Because I (and my child) are psychic, the spirit will usually communicate in that time frame and we will perceive it. I realize not everybody can do this, at least not that quickly. I would suggest that you use a window more suitable to your time and abilities, telling the spirit you are willing to listen but that he needs to make his communication clear, strong and unmistakable. Tell him that he only has a certain time to do it, and then you are clearing your home. (For detailed information on how to clear your home, listen to my audio lesson on the subject.) The spirit may attempt this communication in a variety of ways, depending on his development. You may hear raps, voices, noises; the spirit may interact with your electronics, causing lights to flash on or off, or television sets, or computers, etc.; the spirit may also materialize or move objects. Pay attention to everything, and do not be afraid. These are the typical methods spirits have at their disposal. Most times they are not trying to scare us — they are simply doing what they can in order to interact with us.
There are other things you can do, as well. These depend on your level of psychic development, so pick which methods work best for you, and also — always practice psychic protection before (and when) working with spirits. Click here to learn more about psychic protection. Also, for a list of things not to do, please read my article Ten things To Avoid When Communicating With Spirits.
The following are six common ways to make contact with a spirit:
1. Meditate with intention. This involves dedicating your meditation time to the contact of this spirit. You can state your intention out loud before starting. Make sure to say a prayer of protection before starting. As always, meditate in a quiet, high vibration area where you know you will not be disturbed. Meditate for at least twenty minutes at a time. Quiet all thoughts; follow your breathing. At some point begin to mentally ask questions of the spirit, remaining in a meditative state all the while. Listen closely for the answers. If your clairaudience is not sufficiently developed it may take you awhile to hear anything, but if you keep meditating, something will come. Also, pay attention to all images you see while your eyes are closed. Clairvoyant information is received through images, and this may be one way the spirit will communicate with you.
2. Talk out loud to the spirit, especially when he is around. Ask him to make himself known, either through materializations (raps, sounds, movement of objects, manipulation of electronics) or direct communication. If there is a specific way you would like him to communicate with you, state that, and see if he can.
3. Use a pendulum. A pendulum is a divinatory instrument which responds to both you and the environment directly. If there is a spirit around, the pendulum can tell you. (You simply ask the pendulum, while holding it correctly, “Is there a spirit around me at this time?” And go from there.) The pendulum can even lead you to the specific area in your house where your spirit is. It can help you determine names, identifying characteristics, spirit questions, spirit answers and much more. Click here to learn how to correctly use a pendulum.
4. Use dowsing rods. Dowsing rods are very similar to pendulums. Typically used to find water beneath the land, dowsing rods are also powerful tools for divination when used correctly. Anything the pendulum can do, dowsing rods can do, too. Click here to learn about dowsing rods and other dowsing methods.
5. Use EVP. EVP stands for Electronic Voice Phenomena and typically involves using a sensitive recording device to capture spirit noises or voices. The person (you) will usually ask a series of questions, allowing several seconds between each question for the spirit to respond. Recorders are helpful because we often do not hear spirits through natural hearing. Recorders can be played back at unique settings so that all noises are heard, and sometimes interesting things can be discovered. Click here to read a good article on how to record your own EVP. And last;
6. Contact a reputable intuitive. Someone like Maryann Winkowski would be able to come into your home, tell you who and where the spirit is and what their intentions might be. She would also be able to clear your home of this spirit, and send them into the light, which is where they should be. (Maryann Winkowski is obviously famous and very busy, but someone like Maryann in your area who does this work might be very helpful.)
These are just some of the ways to make spirit contact, though there are many others. (Let me be sure to say, however, that you should NEVER use a Ouija board, no matter what you have read or heard. The Ouija board is not a toy and I do not believe it is safe.) There are also many, many books out there that can give you more information, if you are interested in learning more.
Last but not least, remember to ALWAYS call in your guides, angels and friends in Spirit to assist you before working with spirits of any sort. In fact, I would personally recommend that you learn to work with your angels and guides before attempting to contact mundane and potentially chaotic spirits who most likely won’t have much to offer you in terms of information or enlightenment.
I hope I’ve been able to help, Victoria. Please let me know if there is anything else you need, or if there are new developments. Thank you!
Please submit any questions for Crystal here. Answers may take a few weeks to be published. Also, unless otherwise specified by you, know that your question may be used publicly in the future to help others, such as within a post like this. Thanks!