All of us, at some point in time, have desperately wished to bring the dead back to life, to make contact with a lost loved one, to say the final goodbye, properly and well. It doesn’t matter if we’re rational skeptics or followers of Spiritualism. It doesn’t matter if scientists have tried to debunk psychic theories and fraudsters have taken advantage of innocent people. As Ted Dekker says, ‘The power of belief alone could change the course of history’, and that is what magic and manifesting your desires is all about.
And the truth is, if we believe hard enough, we can make the impossible come true.
When it comes to ghost stories and dealing with the dead, séances have always played an important role. Put simply, a séance is an attempt to communicate with the spirit or ‘ghost’ of a dead person. A typical session usually involves the presence of a medium who acts as a channel for the dead to speak, and also things like talking boards (for example an Ouija board) and other divination tools, as well as spirit cabinets, trumpets, and other items.
These traditional methods are drawn from Spiritualism, a movement that reached its zenith in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The key tenet of Spiritualism is a belief in the afterlife, particularly the existence of a ‘spirit’ or ‘soul’ that continues on after the death of the physical body. Spiritualists also believe that we can (and should) communicate with these spirits or souls, and that such communication may offer interesting insights and guidance to those of us in the land of the living. Enter the séance, which provides an ideal method to interact with the dead and also produce evidences of their existence.
There have been many famous séances involving different mediums and groups, but perhaps one of the most incredible and evidential were the series of experiments that took place in the village of Scole from 1993 to 1998. These séances produced several audio recordings, photographs, poetry, and even objects that reportedly dropped from the ceiling within the dark séance room. Performed with six mediums and attended by fifteen professional investigators from the Society Of Psychical Research, London, the detailed accounts of the events provide some of the best proof that séances are not only real, but can be performed by anyone who is willing to practice and master the skill.
Why Perform A Séance
Before beginning any task, it is always important to ask yourself why are you doing it. Are you performing a seance because it’s something fun to do with your friends? Are you doing it for a few nasty but harmless scares? Are you doing it to check out if it’s actually true or whether the skeptics have got it wrong for once?
Or is there someone you desperately want to talk to, to send a last goodbye message? Are you calling upon the guidance of an ancestor? Did you lose a family member in an accident? Are there words that must be said to alleviate a guilty conscience, particularly apologies, confessions and goodbyes?
If you said yes to any of the questions in the second category, by all means, follow the simple steps outlined below and conduct a safe séance. However, if you belong to the first category it is best to avoid séances, as you may not get the desired results and even worse, might offend the spirits who happen to attend.
How To Perform A Séance
1. Prepare Yourself: Compose yourself by meditating or listening to soothing music. Be clear in your mind as to why you want to do this. Clean the place before beginning. A chaotic space can attract chaotic entities.
2. Choose Your People Carefully, Especially The Medium: Only invite those you completely trust and who believe in the spirit world. Try not to do it with those who scoff at the idea of psychic phenomena. Keep children and outsiders away. As for the medium, choose someone with experience or who possesses psychic abilities. It is traditionally believed that the number of participants must be three or a multiple of three. However, many people have held seances with less or more, and with odd numbers of attendees.
3. Create The Atmosphere: Use a round or oval table, and sit in the form of a circle and hold hands. You may place some food and water for the spirits on the table or an Ouija board if you’re using one. In the center, place three (or a multiple of three) candles, the more the better. Light them up and switch off the lights.
4. Summon The Spirit: Once you’ve joined hands, chant a suitable summoning incantation from a book on magic or an esoteric website, such as ‘Our beloved [name of spirit], we bring you gifts from life into death. Commune with us, (name of spirit), and move among us’. Repeat it till you get some sort of response from the spirit.
5. Ask Away: Make sure you have the questions ready. Ask yes or no questions if the spirit communicates via rapping or more detailed questions if the spirit answers via the medium.
6. End It Properly: If anything happens, break the circle of hands and blow out the candles. Otherwise, once you’ve done communicating, thank the spirit and tell them to go back to their world in peace. Then break the circle, say a prayer of gratitude and closure and blow out the candles.
If you are doing a seance alone, follow the above steps, except instead of a medium, use a talking board or any divination tool that you are familiar with.
Above all, have respect for the spirit world and the spirit world will have respect for you. If you’d like to learn more (and I mean, SO much more!) on our hugely diverse spiritual eco-system, please check out my course Everything Psychic!